Every household has its own traditional remedy for tackling the winter blues, a tried and tested elixir that’s been passed down through generations. But do they really work on boosting your immune system? You might be surprised to learn that there is often actual science behind your grandmother’s cold and flu busting concoction, especially in the case of one of our favorites: Fermented Honey Garlic. Yep, that’s right – garlic. Whether you’re a big fan of it or not, you will be once you learn how good it is for you! Let’s look at how this key ingredient in our cold season recipe keeps you healthy throughout the winter months.
Garlic: Nature’s Antibiotic
Garlic has been a staple in traditional medicine for centuries, it actually contains something super important called allicin which is a natural antibiotic! Allicin has been proven to be even more effective as a broad spectrum antibiotic than conventional antibiotics. Which is pretty useful intel to have when you consider the side effects that conventional antibiotic use can have on your body (this is your reminder to make sure you add extra probiotics to your diet if ever on a course of antibiotics).
Key Benefits of Honey Garlic
- Contains Antioxidants: Rich antioxidants that combat free radicals, potentially reducing the risk of chronic illnesses.
- Anti-Inflammatory Properties: Both garlic and honey offer anti-inflammatory relief for various ailments.
- Immunity Boost: Naturally strengthens your immune system, protecting you from picking up infections and viruses like the common cold.
- Heavy Metal Detox: Helps to detoxify the body from heavy metals, enhancing your digestion, overall energy levels and wellness.
- Soothing Cough Syrup: This blend of honey and garlic serves as a natural and effective cough syrup.
- Blood Pressure Control: Some studies suggest that garlic contributes to lower blood pressure, promoting better heart health.
- Antifungal: Contains antifungal qualities to help combat fungal infections.
Fermented Honey Garlic Recipe
The benefits of garlic really step up a gear when paired with the sweetness of organic raw honey through the fermentation process. Here’s how you can make your own batch of this timeless winter remedy!
- Freshly peeled garlic cloves
- High-quality organic raw honey
- A handful of peeled garlic cloves (always fresh, high-quality garlic!).
- Place the cloves into a clean mason jar.
- Pour the organic raw honey generously over the garlic. The goal is to submerge all the cloves completely.
- Tightly seal the mason jar and place it in a quiet, cool spot away from direct light to let it ferment. Be patient, it takes at least a month for this elixir to reach its full potential but the longer the better! It can last well over a year when stored properly.
Top Tip; It’s important to “burp” your garlic honey daily to prevent any explosions due to gas build up! This is as simple as just loosening the lid.
Your Winter Wellness Must-Have
So there you go, an effective traditional winter remedy with genuine science behind it! Fermented Honey Garlic is so easy to prepare and store that you simply have no excuse not to give it a try. Don’t wait until the next time you feel under the weather, grab some cloves right now to get it prepped and ready to go!