Aside from being an incredible tricky word to pronounce, muciniphila is a super unique probiotic that lives in your gut. It was first discovered in 2004 and this was considered a scentific breakthrough. During their research, scientists discovered that this powerful probiotic is essential for healthy immune system functioning.
However, further studies have shown that 25% of people have insufficient amounts of Akkermansia in their gut and 18% have none at all!
Why You Need Akkermansia
- Your No.1 Gut Protector: Akkermansia protects and strengthens your gut lining to reduce the likeliness of issues such as erosion from acid reflux or gut dysbiosis.
- Prevents Inflammation: When the intestinal barrier is strengthened this helps to reduce and prevent inflammation. Akkermansia also directly produces anti-inflammatory substances such as a short-chain fatty acid called acetate.
- Maintains a Healthy Immune System: Research suggests that this breakthrough probiotic could protect against illness. In their studies, scientists have noted that healthy people are much more likely to have Akkermansia probiotic bacteria present in their gut.
- May Support Healthy Glucose Levels: Research is still ongoing but studies have indicated that Akkermansia has a positive impact on type 2 diabetes.
- Protects Your Body from Free Radicals and Toxins: This bacteria regulates intestinal permeability which means it makes it difficult for toxins to get into your bloodstream. This is incredibly important for maintaining good overall health.
Typically, your levels of Akkermansia should be between about 0.5 (minimum) and 5% of your overall gut bacteria levels. Scientists have noted levels of about 4% in healthy people.
If you’re experiencing issues with inflammation, recurring infections, or leaky gut, it may be a sign that your Akkermansia levels are low or non-existent. This can be due to factors such as decreasing levels with age, poor diet, and antibiotic use, but don’t worry – there’s a way to increase these levels pretty quickly.
One of the key differences between the Akkermansia probiotic and other probiotics is that it doesn’t need any outside nourishment to survive. This bacteria feeds off the mucus layer that covers the intestinal cells, which is actually where the name “muciniphila” comes in, meaning “mucus loving”!
However, this means increasing Akkermansia is a little more tricky than with common probiotics, since it doesn’t feed off prebiotics found in foods you eat. However, there are some foods you can add to your diet to help to introduce Akkermansia to your system or increase your existing levels.
How to Increase Akkermansia in your Gut
These are plant-based compounds that support the mucus layer protecting the cells in your intestine, i.e. the mucus that Akkernamnsa feeds off to stay alive and reproduce. This means that foods containing Polyphenols essentially act as a prebiotic for Akkermansia. Berries, cocoa, fresh herbs, and cranberry juice are all excellent sources of polyphenols.
Healthy fats such as flax seed, fish oil, and olives have been shown to have positive effects on the production and quality of the gut mucus lining, therefore supporting the growth and survival of Akkeramansia.
Adding a daily Akkermansia supplement to your diet is the easiest and most convenient way to increase your levels. If you combine this with the above dietary changes, even better!
Get a Headstart on Boosting your Akkermansia Levels!
Our premium Akkermansia supplement is an effective and direct method of restoring optimal levels of this powerful probiotic in your gut. Our clients have experienced improvements in energy, gut health issues, and even their mood. Give it a try to discover the incredible benefits for yourself!