How many times have you said to yourself; “I need to drink more water”? I think most of us slip up on our intake now and then, and it doesn’t take long for our bodies to start crying out for some more H20. So whether you’re not a big fan of water (some of us really just don’t like the taste!) or you simply want to up your game, we’ve got you covered.
Staying hydrated is the key to staying energized, promoting healthy skin, keeping your digestion on point, and helping you focus throughout the day. And that’s just a summary of the neverending benefits!
Signs You’re Not Getting Enough Water
If you feel totally wiped out even after a good night’s sleep, you may simply be dehydrated! This is such a common sign and yet not something that immediately comes to mind. When your body isn’t getting enough water, your heart has to work harder to pump blood and deliver nutrients, leaving you feeling drained and run down.
Dry Skin and Lips
Your skin really is a reflection of your inner health, and dehydration can often manifest as dry, flaky skin and chapped lips. When you’re not drinking enough water, your skin loses its natural elasticity and becomes more prone to irritation – especially as you get older. So, if you find yourself reaching for the moisturizer more often than usual, it might be time to reach for that water bottle too.
The color of your urine is often a good indicator of your hydration status. Dark yellow urine suggests that your body is holding on to water. Ideally, your urine should be a light, pale yellow if you’re sufficiently hydrated.
Persistent headaches can be a throbbing reminder that your body needs more water. Dehydration reduces the flow of oxygen and blood to the brain, which can even lead to full on migraines, and nobody wants that. If you suffer from regular headaches, try sipping on water throughout the day to see if it helps to alleviate the pain.
Your brain is around 75% water (yep!!), and dehydration can actually impair your cognitive function. So if you’re finding it difficult to concentrate or stay focused, it might be due to inadequate water intake.
Water plays a crucial role in the digestive process. Insufficient hydration can lead to constipation and bloating as your body struggles to move food through the digestive tract. By staying hydrated, you promote smoother digestion and help prevent discomfort in your gut.
Ingredients to Optimize Your Water Intake Even More
Let’s look at a few single ingredients that can amp up your wellness routine even more by adding even more health benefits to your water intake.
- Cucumbers: Add a slice of cool cucumber in your water for extra antioxidants and vitamins to help with skin health and hydration.
- Ginger: This spicy root has anti-inflammatory properties, aids digestion, and can even alleviate muscle soreness. The zesty kick it adds to your water is an extra plus!
- Cumin: These seeds are known for their digestive benefits. They can help ease bloating and discomfort.
- Honey: Not only does honey provide natural sweetness without the added sugars, but it also boasts antibacterial properties. And as we all know it’s a great remedy for a sore throat!
- Rice: Rice water is an ancient beauty secret; it’s rich in vitamins and minerals and promotes healthy skin and hair. Soak a handful of rice in water, strain, and voila – you’ve got a nourishing elixir to sip on while reaping the beauty benefits too!
- Aloe: Known for its detoxifying properties, aloe water can help cleanse your system.
- Fennel: Fennel is great for digestion, and its subtle licorice flavor adds a unique twist to your H20 fix.
- Lemon:: Ahhh, such a classic! Packed with Vitamin C, lemons support immune health and acidity can aid digestion.
- Mint: Mint leaves not only add a delightful flavor but also aid digestion and can help alleviate headaches.
Get that H20 Intake up for 2024!
Who needs to wait for the new year to make resolutions?! We all have those moments where we realize we need to drink more water, and the good news is, it’s never too late to start.
Try adding an extra healthy kick to your water with these tasty additions and focus on getting enough daily H20 to keep your body feeling as good as it should be!